Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I have the brain of a 10th grader

I just realized something. After watching Scott Pilgrim again and getting all fuzzy with nostalgia about old video games and rock shows and ramen every other meal i figured it out.
I will forever be culturally 16. Lets break it down:

Music:
I mean holy crap, what music do i listen to? Bands that are from or sound like the 90s. I still have all the Smashing Pumpkins albums on the idevice.
I whine that alt rock today is too progressive and meandery, and every Pandora station I have plays the Strokes.

Books:
What do I read? Hmm, let me list the last few books (in order of newest read):

Scott pilgrim volumes 1-6
Red pyramid
Percy jackson books 1-5 + lost hero
Some han solo book (yes im a nerd, please dont ask me how many star wars books ive read)
Twilight series and the Host (yes i did)
Tales of beatle the bard (of course i read harry potter)
Master and commander
I count 1 book that an adult would try to read if they weren't regressing to their teenage nostalgia (which we all know we do).

Games:
I know games are now considered OK for the bigs, but I still play when I get a chance. What games? Ones that remind me of mario kart (hell I still play it), goldeneye (FPS's like call of duty), and side scrolling marios (super meat boy)

Guitar:
Every once in a while I have delusions of grandeur and play guitar for an hour (once every 6 months!) and visualize my office a recording studio, and play songs I wrote when I was.. hey! 16.

Sports:
I run around like an idiot every Friday playing basketball pretending my knees aren't getting old (at least I can still hit a 3). 

Yep, i am in either middle school or highschool. We work all day so that we can spend our free time to relive our past. Whats keeping me back in the land of 30-something? 
  • Kids. Well they keep me bouncing from being 5 and being 30. Responsible adult vs playing tickle monster.
  • A good cry during a kids movie like Up! I swear just the sound of that theme gets me going.
  • Shows like True Blood. Yeah thats for adults. Although I did see full metal jacket when I was like 10.
  • Taxes. Hmm I have to pay those.
Btw i just removed those double spaces after each period. Ack! I just did it again. That rule (which is wrong) is still deeply embedded. (Ack! again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment